Dating After Divorce: My Unfiltered Journey to Reinventing Love

My "Forever After" Just Took a Detour (Apparently, into the Dating App Minefield)


Let me tell you, when I first left my marriage, "dating" was as foreign a concept as a quiet room in my house. I truly believed I was on the "happily ever after" track, but plot twist! My forever after became a "forever alone... for a bit" situation. I was, and still am, a little broken. But then, my personal cheerleading squad (my brother, his fiancé, and three of my favorite girls – you know, the same people who were conveniently abandoning me for their own relationship bliss and moving to Puerto Rico) decided I needed to get back out there. They were packing their bags, and I thought, "Well, I guess it's my turn to... swipe?"

 

Deep down, I also had this nagging feeling it was "wrong" to start dating when my divorce isn't even legally final. And honestly, my marriage had stripped me of so much, especially my sense of safety. How does someone who promised to love you become so utterly... different? (But that's a story for another blog post.)


Back to the Dating Thing: "Who Wants a 40-Something with a Kid?" (Spoiler: Apparently, Everyone!)

So, there I was, also questioning my self-worth. Who would want me now, in my 40s, with a child? The answer, apparently, is "lol, they do!" So, I opened a dating app. I felt completely out of place, like a dinosaur trying to use TikTok. But soon enough, I figured out the swipe left, swipe right dance.

 

Enter Guy #1: very handsome, very smart, and most importantly, he made me feel wanted again. I genuinely believe we'll be friends someday, just not right now. I think, due to his life experiences, he felt he needed "to do more or less," and when we tried to define what we had, let's just say things got "complicated." This was even though I never asked for anything. I truly enjoyed his company until I didn't. I also suspect he might have "taken advantage" of a situation or two, but only time (and maybe future therapy notes) will tell.

 

As for the other two dates: Guy #2 was just too short (it's an inside joke, folks; no short kings for this queen again). And Guy #3 came in hot, all confident and charming, and then poof! He vanished into a cloud of "future talk." He claimed he could "see I want more in the future" and that was a risk he wasn't taking. Damage, right? My response? I'm not fixing what I didn't break. And I'm certainly not running a "build-a-man" workshop (stole that quote, loved it). I won't share too many more details because, who knows, they might be reading this.

 

The Wisdom of My Own Crossroads (and Why We Need to Be Nicer to Ourselves)

Most recently, I found myself at another table, this time with my favorite people (because, let's be honest, family is my favorite people): one blissfully married, two recently engaged, and then there was my 21-year-old favorite, who has definitively decided dating is for the birds. I was dishing out advice, all "get out there, live your own experiences!" and then I stopped myself. Who was I kidding? It is a cold, savage world out there. While I was trying to convince her that getting out there is possible, I thought, "Yes, it's possible, but it's also a minefield."

 

Then I went into full-blown self-analysis mode: "Why are you out there again? What are you even looking for in a man right now, when you pretty much have everything you've always wanted... but men?" And it hit me: as women, it's not always all about being us and what we want; things are more complicated, and we are so hard on ourselves. Everyone else can see how wonderful we are, but we just pick ourselves apart.

 

Find Your Inner Fireworks: A Pep Talk for Every Woman

What I'm trying to say to my beautiful 21-year-old favorite, and to all the incredible women out there, from my slightly older, wiser, and (after just two days on the dating app, mind you, because that's apparently enough to earn battle scars) more battle-scarred self, here's the real talk:

 

You are brilliant, beautiful, and capable, but I don't think you see it yet. And that's okay. We, as women, often struggle with seeing our own incredible worth. We're bombarded with messages telling us we're not enough, or too much, or need to be fixed. Well, let me tell you, honey, you are a masterpiece, and it's time you started treating yourself like one.

 

Finding self-love isn't about ignoring your flaws; it's about embracing your entire glorious, messy self. It's the quiet confidence that comes from knowing you're doing your best, learning from your mistakes, and growing every single day. It's looking in the mirror and genuinely liking the person looking back, even on your worst hair day. It's knowing your worth doesn't depend on a relationship status, a number on a scale, or someone else's opinion. It's the ultimate superpower, because when you truly love yourself, you become magnetic to the right things and repellent to everything that doesn't serve you.

 

And self-compassion? That's your secret weapon. Think about how you'd treat your best friend if she was struggling. Would you tell her she's not good enough, that she made a stupid mistake, or that no one will ever want her? Absolutely not! You'd wrap her in kindness, remind her of her strengths, and tell her it's okay to stumble. Why, then, do we so often speak to ourselves with a harshness we'd never tolerate from anyone else? Self-compassion is simply extending that same warmth and understanding to yourself. It's acknowledging your pain without judgment, giving yourself permission to be imperfect, and knowing that you're doing your best with what you have. It's forgiving yourself for past mistakes and cheering yourself on for future triumphs.

 

Honestly, while writing this, I truly tried to embrace my pain without judgment. Yes, there are going to be men in our lives who, at some point, will want or even take something from us, whether we give it to them or not, and that may hurt or not (remember the "what if" from my previous blog?). But the one thing we are not doing is giving up on love – the kind that feels safe, protected, loyal, and ambitious. The kind that makes you feel seen, valued, and celebrated. I may keep swiping left on this app until my thumb falls off, but I draw the line at stopping my life or settling for anything less than I truly deserve. We have to take a chance, open our hearts, and trust we're making the right decisions. For my 21-year-old favorite girl, I hope you find the love you deserve. And for the ones like me who get thrown the unexpected, I know we will find love again. So, for when love returns, and in the meantime: go out there and reinvent yourself. Heal. Shine your own light. You are worthy, exactly as you are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When the Body Shakes: A Truth About Anxiety and Self-Forgiveness

44: On Time, Grace, and the Courage to Reinvent

44: Sobre el tiempo, la gracia y el coraje de reinventarse